Talking with one of my friends about places we’d want to go, I realized that I have a lot of places that I want to go in my life. I may not have a lot of activities on my “bucket list,” but I have places I want to go and photograph in my lifetime. I’ve been saving a lot of them on my Pinterest, but these are the top places.
- Santorini: Ever since I was a kid, I’ve wanted to visit this beautiful Grecian island. The blue and white architecture shining in the sunshine, perched above the sea, looks like the picture of summer perfection. Also I gather there are a lot of free ranging cats around to enjoy the weather – another thing I like.
- The Hagia Sophia: Learning about this structure in my art history of churches classes, as the source of the “pendentive” arc that funnels domed ceiling to pillars, I’ve really wanted to see this world wonder for myself. Also Istanbul seems like it would be a cool, really foreign place to my Western/northern European upbringing in general, plus a key historical area. Lots of other cool things to see around there on the same trip.
- Giant’s Causeway: What can I say? I’ve always thought basalt columns were a really awesome idea. I want to go pretty much anywhere that they have these things, to see them for myself. How cool is it that rock can grow all by itself into such regular pillars?! Also this bears direct resemblance to Amateria, one of my top favorite Myst worlds.
- Redwood National Park: Again, these bear a certain resemblance to something out of the Myst games. ^^; I doubt they let random tourists climb the trees, but that always looked like an incredible experience in IMAX documentaries…
- Scandinavia: Okay, I know I lived there as a kid, but that was a long time ago. I love the landscape of rocks and moss and trees. I want to go back and see fjords, and celebrate midsummer, and explore in the forests and take pictures.
- France: Again, learning about church architecture in my art history classes has given me more aspects to enjoy about the country than just the food. Sénanque Abbey and its lavender fields in particular sticks out in my memory of beautiful places we covered. My brief visit to Paris was incredible and I feel like I barely scratched the surface of all there is to see in the country, even just in terms of art history.
- St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow: another architectural wonder like the Hagia Sophia which I think would be really impressive to see. Not much architecture that looks like that in the world!
- Iceland: I don’t know much about it because it only rose onto my radar as a destination via Pinterest, but I keep seeing incredibly beautiful photos from there and that’s enough for me. The mist and the rocks and everything look awesome, plus all the volcanic stuff and hot springs and other things sound cool. I’d have to do a lot more research before I planned a trip there, but it’s rising on my list!
- Alaska: Similarly, not totally sure what all there is to do there, but it looks really pretty.